Jake is one week old (yesterday). I can't believe it! Time really does fly and it's kind of scary!
He is doing very well. He was a little Jaundice in the beginning which the doctor kept an eye on and we had it under control in no time.
Jake did great with breastfeeding in the hospital, but, when we got home, we had some serious latching issues. I went to see the lactation consultant who, of course, was able to get him to latch within seconds. It was very frustrating. The most important thing is that Jake gets enough to eat and I decided that pumping and giving him breast milk with a bottle is what works for us. I am giving him breast milk during the day and pumping every 2-3 hours and giving him formula at night. This way, I can see exactly how much he is getting and we no longer have the frustration both of us were feeling during trying to nurse. It's a bonding time as long as I'm holding him and feeding him and nursing just wasn't in the cards for us. It was a difficult decision to make, but, once I made up my mind, I was relieved. Less stress and anxiety for me = less stress and anxiety for Jake and that is number one.
Now that we have that settled, he is a GREAT eater. He's actually a little piglet, taking in 2 oz each feeding. Sometimes, he'll stop at 1 1/2 oz, but it doesn't last very long in his little tummy. I have been so lucky to have help in my mom, Deb, and my aunt, Tricia, since we've been home (more on the help in a later post). They've allowed me to recover and get the sleep I'll need for when we're on our own. On average, he is a little fussy after his 10pm or 11pm feeding until his 1am or 2am feeding, but he's gone about a 4 hour stretch each night after that which is great! Who knows if it'll keep up, but we'll take it for now! Oh! And he's showing a little pattern of saving all of his stinkies for the middle of the night! As long as he's having them, we'll take them whenever they come. It's just funny!
During the day, he sleeps A LOT! It's definitely true what they say about newborns; all they do is eat, sleep, and poop. He may have two or three wake periods during the day when he just bobs his little head and stares around. Yesterday, he was even following us with his eyes. This, of course, proves what we already knew...that he's a genius!
My love for him grows each and every day and I am just in awe of this little life and how much he's changing already and how very SWEET he is. We could get lost in him and stare at him all day long. The other day, he was fussy when we had company and everyone had tried consoling him. I came in from the other room and, as soon as I picked him up, he quit crying. It was the most amazing feeling in the world. I am figuring out how he likes to be held and what noises he likes me to make and I love meeting his needs and wants. I can't wait to get to know him even better as time goes by.
He makes the funnies faces. You can see in the picture on this post that he can be quite serious. We call them his old man faces. I could just eat him up.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Just don't take ALL of that sugar. Got to save some for Aunt TT!! I've miss you both so much since being with you earlier in the week. (Yes, I miss you, too, John! Tee hee!
Yes, it's amazing how times does fly!!! It won't slow down either, so continue to savor every single moment! Aren't you so thankful that you are home and getting settled and his due date isn't even here yet!!!
Give Deb a big hug if I don't see her before she leaves on Friday!
I LOVE YOU!!!
He is absolutely adorable! I can't wait to meet baby Jake!! Hope you and the family are doing well and getting settled in! Congrats!!
Sarah Lucas
Post a Comment