8/17/11

Spa Treatments and Old Wives' Tales

Yesterday, I treated myself to a prenatal massage, a manicure, and a pedicure at Tonic Day Spa. 
This was my first ever real manicure.  I've never had fingernails before with the exception of the few times I had fake ones put on as a young person.  This time, it was for my swollen hands and my very own finger nails.  If you know me, you know what my nails usually look like and will be surprised to know that I have stopped biting/picking and allowed the prenatal vitamins to work their magic.  This is such a small thing, but it's a big deal to me.  I hope I can keep it up after Jake comes.  It's not easy breaking a 30 year habit!
As for the pedicure, I threw being embarrassed out the window and allowed the sweet lady to work away at my elephant feet and legs.  It was GREAT!!!
The massage was great, too, but, if I had to do it over again, I would do a little research before hand.  I thought that all spas who offer prenatal massages were equipped with the special pregnant lady massage tables with the holes with nets for your belly.  Tonic doesn't have them.  They just prop you up with pillows, etc...  It was still wonderful to be massaged though, so I am not going to complain about it.

This week, I have tried a few things which I've heard are said to kick start labor.  I heard that basil pesto is supposed to do it so I ate half a tub Monday spread on several pieces of Italian bread.  I also heard that drinking pomegranate juice would do the trick, so I tried that.  Didn't even dilute it with water.  Pretty gross.  I tried getting a massage and pedicure which has been known to get things going.  I ate key lime pie.  I've been taking long walks around the neighborhood with John at night.  I've driven over speed bumps faster than usual.  Needless to say, there is no labor going on here.  There are many other things I've heard about which I might try, but I won't be trying castor oil or anything like that.

I know we have less than a week to go and that is just fine.  Part of me is trying to get things going because I know Jake is fine and I'm sooooooooo ready to meet him.  Part of me is trying because I am so ready not to be pregnant anymore.  And part of me is trying because I know that going into labor on my own won't be as painful as being induced.  I've heard that contractions induced by Pitocin are extremely painful.  I'm ok with that, too, but it's worth a shot to get it going on it's own.

Any other tricks you know of?

2 comments:

Rachael said...

I get so excited for you everytime I read how close you are!! I have also heard spicey foods and eggplant parmesian. I get the spicey foods but eggplant parmesian? Anyways, worth a shot! :)

hanna said...

Thanks, Rachael!!