8/9/11

Not So Fast! - 36 Week Prenatal Visit

We went into today's appointment pretty sure that Jake would be measuring in the 90th percentile and ready to be induced Thursday.
He says, "Not so fast, Mama!"

According to today's ultrasound, he is 7 1/2 pounds which is still large (80th percentile) for 36 weeks, but not large enough to warrant such an early induction.  His heart rate was great and he looked wonderful and healthy.

Even though he's not quite as big at this point as they thought he was, Dr. Jones is still not recommending that I go to my due date.  He's big now and will only get bigger so, in order to give me the best chance possible at a vaginal delivery, she is going to induce me between 38 and 38 1/2 weeks.  That's some time between August 19 (next friday) and August 24 (my birthday) or so.  We should learn the date this week!

I have to admit that I was a little disappointed leaving the doctor's appointment since, for a week now, I have had in my head that there was a big possibility that we would deliver this week...VERY enticing thought since I am feeling stretched to the max and just feel done and ready. 

The disappointment does not over ride the most important thing which is that Jake looks healthy and that the pregnancy continues to be healthy.  I'm happy to wait however long it takes as long as he's all right.

That's not to say that, come this Friday (the 37 week, full term mark), I won't begin a strict regimen of trying every (well almost) possible old wives tale for kicking labor into gear myself.  Here I come, speed bumps!

Next appointment is next Tuesday, so we'll definitely have a launch date by that time.

No comments: