Jake has not slept through the night since the first time, 11/3. I knew it was likely just a fluke and that he wouldn't be consistently sleeping through for a few more weeks or, Heaven forbid, months, but I sure wish he would just go on and start now. I love my sleep, always have.
Let's face it...baby boy doesn't need the extra calories to get him through. He's got plenty of reserve if you get what I'm sayin'.
I have established a pretty consistent bed time routine and I feed him more at his last feeding to "fuel him up" before bed, but I haven't implemented any actual "method" of getting a baby to sleep through the night. He has his last bottle and goes to bed between 7 and 8 every night. For a while, I did a "dream feed" at about 11 or 12 (feeding him without waking him) in hopes of pushing him through, but he woke up at the same time regardless, so I dropped it.
There are certainly lots of suggestions and methods out there to try and I've read about most of them. I do think a schedule is important and worked on that fairly quickly after he was born. I will work on a more rigid sleep method if he's still not sleeping through by the time he's 4 months old. He is, after all, only 11 weeks old now. I know I could start now and there would be nothing wrong with that, I just want to see if he'll do it on his own.
Except for not sleeping through the night, Jake really is a great sleeper, if that makes sense. He eats about every 3 1/2 to 4 hours (sometimes a little further between in the night) and is still napping between each feeding. Out of all those naps, two are at least 2 hours long. The others are about an hour. See? Good sleeper.
He goes down without much of a fuss almost all the time and, if he does fuss, it's only just a little bit. This goes for going back down after night feedings, too, thankfully. He goes down in his crib for naps and for bed time (with the occasional exception of a cat nap in his swing).
A little side vent: It gets old reading on facebook about so and so's "little angels" the same age or younger than Jake who are sleeping through the night. I hate to admit that my thoughts when reading these comments are not very nice. Some are: "Well woopdie doo!" and "good for you" and "blah blah blah" and "well my baby is cuter than yours, so there!"
I truly don't mean these things (especially the last, really ugly comment). It makes no real difference to me whether or not other babies are sleeping well. At least someone is getting some sleep.
When I am thinking these things, it's just pure T sleep deprivation and jealousy talking, but it's my blog and I'll bitch if I want to.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
You tell it, Girl!!! What a journal you are writing for both you and for Jake, one that you'll look back on with so much joy for many, many years!
...and yes, he IS the cutest one!!!!!
I LOVE YOU!!!
Post a Comment