11/15/11

Giving Thanks - Day 15

Day fifteen:
I am thankful for all the information that is available to new parents.  This one is kind of a tricky one for me.  I tend to over research and over analyze everything, especially when it comes to 'rearin' this baby', but, when they don't replace common sense and your own mother's intuition, baby websites and baby books can be a God send.
It's nice to read what is within the range of 'normal' and what's not.  It's especially nice to read online forums made of comments by mothers with the same questions I have.  Their advice is based on experience and is, most of the time, exponentially more valuable than some of the advice written by "experts" who haven't had young children for several decades or who write based on the fear of law suits rather than from a place of wanting to give sound, realistic, down to earth advice to parents who just want to do the right thing.
I refer to my books and visit these sites daily looking for answers to questions about long naps, late naps, snotty noses, baby behavior, poop, and many other things, and it is very helpful, but, again, it doesn't replace my own mothering style or intuition.  It just supplements it.  I take what I want and leave the rest.

No comments: