11/12/11

Giving Thanks - Day 12

Day twelve:

I am thankful for my milk supply.  Jake and I couldn't get nursing down for a few reasons, but breast feeding him was very important to me, so I opted to achieve this by pumping.  There was a period when I was concerned because my supply seemed to be dwindling, but, thanks to consistently pumping and, in small part, too, to fenugreek, my supply is on the increase.  I'm even able to freeze some now and I've started quite the little collection!  YAY!!  Breast milk is good for several months in a regular freezer and for a year in a deep freezer.  Hopefully, I can build up a few months worth of milk so that Jake can have breast milk even after I'm no longer pumping.
Pumping is not fun.  It's painful at times and it's very cumbersome.  Pumping several times around the clock, cleaning parts all day, storing the milk, toting the pump and storage bags and coolers with me whenever I'm going to be away from the house for more than a few hours is, again, no fun.  BUT, it's totally worth it to me and, since I work from home, at least that part of it is easier for me than for those who work outside of the home.
I am going to continue to pump until it's just no longer doable. 
I'm thankful for my milk supply and also for my determination to keep this up.

No comments: