So yesterday morning I woke up extremely engorged after not having pumped since 7pm. Jake woke up at the same time hungry. This usually equals a really uncomfortable time for me as I am in pain and leaking while feeding Jake and until I can get him settled in so I can finally pump. Not fun.
So, yesterday, I thought, hmmmmm, "wonder if he'll nurse? I know I will let down really fast, so he won't get frustrated and it's worth a shot. a perfect solution to his hunger and my pain!" (plus, the really weird thing, is that I had a dream that night about nursing him)
Well, he did great! He nursed again yesterday afternoon, in the middle of the night last night, and again this morning.
We do have some work to do on his latch, though. It's sufficient enough to allow him to get plenty of milk, but not so great in that it is very painful to dear ol' mama. I'm going to give it some time and practice. I think it'll get better. In the mean time, I will still pump and he'll get bottles at day care, when we're not at home, and even here at home when I know there won't be enough there for him to get a full meal. (An advantage of me having pumped for 12 weeks is that I know approximately how much I produce each day and how long in between sessions it takes me to build up a certain amount or milk.)
I wanted this so badly, so I am beyond happy that this is happening. I love the bonding (hopefully it'll be even better once it's not so painful) and it doesn't hurt my feelings not to have to pump as often.
Wish us luck!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
That is great Hanna!!!I am happy for you! -Rachael
Post a Comment