I will start off with the most important information (that to do with Jake) and then I have some venting to do.
As you know, I measured 4 weeks ahead at my last doctors appointment so they ordered an ultrasound to be done with my next visit. Today was the BIG day and I do mean BIG. According to the ultrasound, Jake weighs approximately 6.7 pounds! That's in the 86th percentile!
He is head down, his heart rate was great at 158 bpm, he was practicing breathing, and doing everything he should be. Very healthy.
The placenta and cord look great and the amniotic fluid levels are good, too. My blood pressure was also good at 106/68. A good visit physically for me and for Jake.
I was excited to meet with the doctor after the ultrasound but was ill-impressed to say the least. I met with Dr. Morton, the last one on my rotation. I am pretty convinced that she was looking at the wrong chart. 1. She told me that the baby is breech, which he isn't. I saw him with my own eyes and his head is down. Her nurse confirmed with the ultrasound tech. after my appointment while I was checking out that he is not breech. I know he could change positions at any moment, but he was not breech today.
2. She said that he was "likely closer to 60th percentile as opposed to 84th". I know that ultrasound measurements are not an exact science, but I don't think there is a 25% error margin. And also, it was 86th percentile, not 84th.
3. She said that, according to the ultrasound, my uterus is only measuring 1 week ahead. Well unless she did it while I wasn't looking, I don't think my uterus was measured today. A little math: I measured 35 weeks at 31 weeks (4 weeks ahead). This was my 33 week appointment and she said I measured 1 week ahead. That would put the measurement at 34 weeks, one less than I was measuring 2 weeks ago. Doesn't make sense, does it?
Along with my feeling that she had the wrong chart, she was no more present with me in that room than the man in the moon. She had no real information to offer me as far as what his size means for our birth plan or anything helpful at all for that matter. She did mention that if I am measuring really big at 37 weeks, they'll do an amnio to test Jake's lung function and possibly induce labor at that point, but after this appointment I'm not really sure whether or not I'm measuring big. It doesn't matter, but I don't think I'm crazy for wanting to know everything I can.
She pretty much smirked at each question I had for her and acted like I am a total idiot. I used the lobby restroom on my way out to the car and started thinking that maybe I was being a little sensitve. That's when I opened the bathroom door and saw Dr. Morton practically running out of the building with what looked like a dress in a dry-cleaning bag. I wasn't being sensitive, she was in a hurry.
I know it won't matter as long as he's healthy, but I really hope she's not the one who delivers Jake.
I'm sure she's a great doctor, but don't go to work if you're in too big of a hurry to do your job.
I go back August 2nd and will, thankfully, be back with Dr. Jones.
The most important thing is that Jake is healthy and looking great. It doesn't matter to me whether he's big or small as long as he's doing ok and, so far, he is. :) I am very thankful.
7/19/11
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment