3/25/11

Pregnancy - 17 Weeks

Baby's now the size of an onion!
Baby's skeleton is hardening, changing from rubbery cartilage to bone, and fat is finally accumulating around it. His umbilical cord is getting thicker and stronger, and those little fingers and toes now feature one-of-a-kind prints.

How far along? 17 weeks
Total weight gain: 4 lbs
Sleep: fall asleep very easily, but wake up and can't get back to sleep.
Favorite moment this week:  ordering the crib and hearing the baby's heart beat!!
Movement: none yet.  They say first time moms feel movement, on average, between weeks 17 and 22, so, hopefully, I will feel something soon!  I can't wait to feel the sweet little flutters of our angel's life.
Symptoms: heart burn and "baby brain" :  I am saying things backwards and losing my train of thought mid-sentence A LOT.  There is also a lot of forgetting what I'm doing right in the middle of doing it.  And, the other day, I put trash in the fridge and fresh food in the trash can.
Symptoms I DON'T have: clear skin ;)
Food cravings: milk shakes
Food aversions: none
Gender:  don't know yet
Labor Signs:  too early
Belly Button in or out? in
What I miss: caffeine
What I am looking forward to:  finding out the sex of the baby and feeling movement. 
Weekly Wisdom: be thankful
Milestones:  I definitely look pregnant now, as opposed to a woman with a big beer gut.  (does't look a lot different from last week, so no pic today)


Yesterday afternoon, I had some light spotting which totally freaked me out, so I called the doctor's office and they had me go in this morning for an ultrasound.  Everything looks great!  Baby, placenta, and cervix all look good, so they are unable to tell what caused the spotting.  They said sometimes it just happens and that they're glad I called and came in to get checked out.
Oh!  And baby's heart rate was 153bpm today.  Very strong!!

I was thinking that we might get to find out the gender today, but our little baby is either a sweet little lady or a perfect gentleman because the legs were crossed and the tech couldn't see a thing!   A little caffeine to get wee one moving and a little talk with him/her about how it's ok to be naked in front of doctors should do the trick April 19th!

Here are some pics from today's ultrasound.  So, so precious.


May be the size of an onion right now, but I think we'd all agree that this angel is much, much sweeter!

4 comments:

Jill said...

so thankful all is ok!

Shelby said...

OMG! That is the sweetest little profile:) I am so glad you went and all checked out fine.
LY!!!

Tricia said...

Happy you checked out that little scare, Hanna! Peace of mind goes a long way!
Don't these ultrasounds make you want to see little one NOW!!!
Such a precious profile! I'll bet his/her silouette will look just like this in a couple of years!
I LOVE YOU!!!

Courtney said...

someone told me that your brain turns to "mush" once you have a baby...TRUTH! so be prepared..."baby brain" doesn't go away after birth! :)
love you!