5/27/11

Pregnancy - 26 Weeks

Baby's continuing to put on baby fat. At 26 weeks, he now weighs about a pound and two-thirds and measures 14 inches (length of an English hothouse cucumber) from head to heel.  The network of nerves in your baby's ears is better developed and more sensitive than before. He may now be able to hear both your voice and your partner's as you chat with each other. He's inhaling and exhaling small amounts of amniotic fluid, which is essential for the development of his lungs. These so-called breathing movements are also good practice for when he's born and takes that first gulp of air.  If you're having a boy, his testicles are beginning to descend into his scrotum — a trip that will take about two to three days.

How on Earth they think of some of these food comparisons, I'll never know.  Who ever heard of an English hothouse cucumber?! Not me! :)

How far along? 26 weeks
Total weight gain: 21 lbs
Sleep: not great.  by the time I get comfortable, I have to go to the bathroom... again...
Favorite moment this week: Going to the Oh, Baby! event at the convention center with John's mom.  It was fun looking at all the cute baby things and we even bought Jake a few adorable outfits!
Movement: yes, lots! 
Symptoms: hip and back pain, occasional swollen feet/hands, hard time sleeping, some irritability, occasional bleeding gums, huge appetite
Food cravings: nothing in particular, just always hungry
Food aversions: none
Gender: BOY!!!!
Labor Signs: too early
Belly Button in or out? mostly out
What I miss: cool weather
What I am looking forward to: 28 week ultrasound June 14. 
Weekly Wisdom: be thankful
Milestones: another healthy week


26 week bump - 14 more weeks of growth to go?!? I'll probably topple over on my face! :)
 
Still feeling great for the most part.  My back has really been hurting this week, but I think it's just something I'll have to get used to.  After all, it is supporting one big, growing belly and two other ridiculously large "assets" these days.  Overall, I really do feel wonderful, though.  I have really been blessed so far with this pregnancy and I pray it continues to go well.  I know there are some uncomfortable (and hot) months ahead, but it will all be worth it in the end, so I'll keep the complaining to a minimum.

I can't tell you how much I LOVE feeling sweet Jake move!  I realized this week that most of the movements I have felt so far have been on my left and it seems like I'm even a little bit bigger on that side.  I do feel movements on the right, just not nearly as much as the left.  I'll ask the doctor about it when I go back, but my instincts are not telling me to worry since he is moving a lot.  I think he must just be settled in over there. 
Even though I know most of his movements have nothing to do with me or anything in the outside world, I can't help but think/pretend that they're all part of an ongoing dialogue between the two of us.  I talk to him and sing to him a lot, but especially when I feel him moving.  I like to think that I'm learning about his little personality and, who knows, maybe I am!  I guess it's natural to want us to bond in any way we can. 
I can tell he's getting bigger because now I can sometimes feel him on both sides of my belly at the same time.  He must be stretching out his whole body and I can feel his arms and his legs!  And a few times lately, he has kicked me right in the bladder which makes me laugh and laugh (...all the way to the potty)!

1 comment:

Shelby said...

You look AWESOME in that pic. Print it out and put it in his baby book:) Love you:)