9/15/12

Peace and Perspective

I spend a lot of time worrying about things which are completely out of my control.  Much of the time, I am pretty convinced that, any day now, the rug will be pulled from under my feet and something will happen to someone I love.  Mostly, these days, that worry is about Jake.  I long to be laid back and able not to think of the worst case scenario each time there is a minor ailment.  (the recent headlines of bubonic plague, hantavirus, and flesh eating bacteria are about to send me right on over the edge)

We all experience times in life when we feel overwhelmed and maybe find ourselves in a little bit of a funk.  I know that God gives us peace and perspective. It's up to us to accept it.

I was picking up some things in Jake's room today when I looked over at his changing table and was immediately struck with gratitude for the fact that his diaper basket is fully stocked. Then I thought about how grateful I am that our refrigerator is full of healthy food for him. And the list goes on. Thank God for blessing us with the ability to provide the basic necessities for our child.

I will probably always struggle with worry and anxiety, but I am choosing to accept God's peace and perspective.  I have a family who loves me and whom I love fiercely.  We are all happy and healthy and we have everything we need.

The peace will come from turning my worries over to Him.  And the perspective slapped me across the face today in the form of a diaper basket.
I know I will need to "re"accept these gifts again and again, and I am so grateful for a God who understands.

No comments: