12/25/11

Christmases, Past, Present, and Future...

I knew this would be a special Christmas, but, as I sit here tonight, reflecting upon Christmases, past, present, and future, I am crying. 

I have been fortunate enough in my life to have, every year, been able to enjoy both the real and commercialized bits of the holiday.  My parents, all 3, always made sure that we were taken care of in the Santa Claus department, but we also never forgot the true meaning of Christmas. 

My Mama LOVED Christmas!  I can still remember the feel of her red flannel night gown as I laid on her lap Christmas Eve, sucking my thumb, listening to my dad read the Christmas story from his mother's bible.  This was after she filled the house with music from her piano and before Shelby and I were warned, one last time before bed, not, under any circumstances, to come downstairs until we were given the go ahead the next morning (we may or may not have obeyed).  Then, Christmas morning, we would find evidence of Santa's visit in the soot he left on our cheeks and on our pillows when he kissed us good night before heading out.  Today, I thank God for these memories and for the feelings of love they provoke in me.  I miss Mama so much right now, it hurts, and I am so thankful to her that she put so much effort into making these memories.  I know how important it is for us to create them for our children.  John read the Christmas story from her bible last night and I felt her with me this morning as I celebrated Christmas morning with my young family. 

In my teens, our wonderful, blended family started new and fun traditions that I will never forget, some of which I will carry on, as well.  We all still laugh at the memories we made together around the big table wearing our British Christmas Cracker crowns and all of our toasts and shenanigans.

Now, my little family has our own traditions, some old, some new, and some yet to be created.

The latter are the ones which had me deep in thought this morning as I was thinking about how magical Christmas is for children; the presents, of course, for the one's fortunate enough, the gift of learning and comprehending the true meaning of the day, and being with immediate and extended family and enjoying that special togetherness. 
On the phone tonight, my dad and I were saying how much we missed eachother last night and today and then he said, "How lucky we are, Hanna, to have these feelings, though."  So very true.  How lucky we are to have the deep, deep love of family.
Thank you to my parents, Mama, Daddy, and Deb, who love me for the sappy old soul that I am and who fostered a love of family that I will, no doubt, pass along to my sweet baby.

Jake, of course, won't even know what's happening for another few years, but, today, I thought ahead to future years, God willing, when he'll be in awe of the magic (again with the word, but it truly is) of Christmas and of the little baby boy in a manger who started it all.

2 comments:

Shelby said...

This is beautiful! Should be published and has made me cry. I missed her and all of you real bad yesterday:)

Tricia said...

Oh sweet Hanna. Your words said it ALL!!! And so beautifully! I, too, am crying as I think of those precious Christmases that we spent together. I'll never forget our annual trip to Greenville on Christmas Day and the excitement and chaos that lasted the entire week following! How thankful I am for those memories, as well. Jake is so blessed to have YOU to carry on traditions and to make new ones just for you and your family!
I LOVE YOU!!!