4/1/15

Snaggle tooth

So baby Hamp was born with a tooth.  Yep, you read that correctly.  A prenatal tooth.  I call him my little snaggle tooth.  On the bottom in the front.
It wasn't growing directly out of his gum like a regular tooth.  It was more in a little blister that was on his gum.  I have to admit it was pretty funny looking.  Here is this gorgeous baby and then he cries or yawns and reveals a tooth!  hahaha!!  Day by day, it came further and further up out of the little blister until Dr Castles said it was likely to come out at any time, which could be a chocking hazard. 
 
So, off to the DENTIST went my 8 DAY OLD BABY to have a tooth extracted.  Dr. Singh is wonderful.  We sat knee to knee with Hamp's bottom half on my lap and the top half on his lap.  He wiped his tooth/blister dry, wiped a local anesthetic on it with a q-tip, and twisted it out with a metal tool.  Hamp cried, but not for long.  I cried, as it is never easy watching you baby, especially that young, bleeding and in pain.  He was a little sore for the rest of the day and was not content unless being held, which was just fine by me.
 
There is another tooth right next to the one removed, but it's not far up enough yet to extract it.  Once it starts looking like the other one, we'll take him back to have it removed.  Could be weeks, could be months.
Baby teeth will not grow in their place, so he'll have a gap there until his permanent ones come in.  So my snaggle tooth he'll continue to be for a few years to come!
 
So here is Hamp's first tooth, which I kept, of course!
 
And I'd also like to note, that nursing has been easier since the tooth is gone.
 

No comments: