I missed a 1 week post. He's 11 days old today. This is a jumble of information for my reference and in no particular order or sense.
Hamp is, so far, not a fussy baby. He only cries when hungry or having his diaper changed. Sometimes, he thinks he's still hungry after a feeding and will fuss a minute. He does not mind a dirty diaper, which is a little bit of a problem because he poops more than any baby I've ever seen! His little bottom is starting to get red, so I started putting ointment on it today. After the next couple of weeks, when he's awake more and more, we'll learn more about his temperament. I keep having this feeling that he is going to be our feisty baby, but maybe he'll be just as laid back as Jake was.
He was down from 8lbs 7oz at birth the 7lbs 11oz at 5 days old and his bilirubin level was at 12. We went back at 7 days old and hew as up to 7lbs 12oz and bilirubin level was at 11. Not huge strides, but Dr Castles was satisfied that he was moving in the right direction for both and we don't see him again until his 2 week check up.
The first week, he was not very hungry and would go 4+ hours (if I let him) without eating. Now, he's eating every 2, maybe 3, hours during the day. Night times are hit or miss. Some nights, he's eating every 2 hours, and some nights every three. He's eating a solid 2 oz per bottle feeding right now. During the day, he either nurses (nursing progress below) or gets breast milk via a bottle and he gets formula during the night. It sticks with them longer and it so much easier than nursing for hours on end or getting cold breast milk to room temp. It works for us.
Hamp wasn't able to nurse for the first 24 hours after birth because he was having some issues breathing and Dr. Castles didn't want him overexerting himself by sucking so he was fed by a tube. He was a little behind on the latch game (the tooth didn't help, either). For the first week, it would take at least 20 minutes to latch each time he nursed (very frustrating for us both). Now, it usually takes about 5 minutes, so an improvement, but still not as effortless as I hope it will become. In order to get full from nursing, he has to nurse for a very long time (sometimes 45 minutes to an hour). He's a bit of a lazy eater and doesn't have the most efficient latch even after he's "on there". If I don't have time to nurse that long (like on hectic mornings), then I nurse him to get the day started with some bonding (and to relieve my boobs which are about to explode from not nursing or pumping all night), and then top him off with a bottle (about an oz).
Some nights, he settles right back into sleep after eating. Some nights, he won't settle back down for a long time. We'll get there. It's tough having so little sleep, but it's a little easier this time around because I have a better perspective and know it won't last forever. Luckily, Jake is sleeping through the night time wakes. Hopefully that will continue.
During the day, he sleeps in his swing between feedings (when I'm not holding him). At night, he's in his crib. I've been putting him down in his crib after his evening feed (between 7 and 8).
His cord (or cort as Jake calls it) hasn't fallen off yet, so he's only had a sponge bath so far.
He is sleeping in a Woombie swaddle and likes to sleep on his right side. If not for his elbow, he would roll right over, which I hope does not happen. He will take a pacifier if fussy after eating or during the night if he can't get settled.
He found his thumb yesterday, so, while he can't suck it at night yet because he's still swaddled, I am hoping he works on this skill during the day and will become a thumb sucker like Jake. I know so many people who disagree with that thinking, but I don't care. Thumbs are more sanitary than pacifiers and you can't drop loose them. I realize you also can't take a thumb away from a child when they're too old for the habit, but it's a bridge we'll cross when we get there and I feel kids will stop when they're ready. Jake only sucks his when going to sleep now (maybe other times when he's tired, but not nearly as much as he used to).
Hamp makes the world's cutest facial expressions and I could stare at him all day. He makes grumpy faces sometimes that make him look like an old man and I could just eat him. He has a sweet disposition and his looks are already changing every day. Most of the time, I see a lot of John in him. I do think his chin is my dad, but his nose and mouth are all John.
We've been busy falling in love over the past couple of weeks and it's nice to have most of each week day to ourselves. I'm thankful to be taking 12 weeks with his one.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment