Of course, from the moment he was born, I loved Jake more than I've ever loved anyone or anything in my life and more than I could have ever imagined. In the beginning, it's primal; the love a mother has for her child. We would choose our baby's life over ours without a second thought, but we don't know them. Their souls are there, of course, because that's what we are...souls given to us by God, but they can't show us their souls in the beginning.
As he grows and he is revealing himself to us, my love for him grows and reveals itself right along with him. I love that he's cheeky and stubborn and silly. I love that some of his facial expressions are just like his daddy's. I love every inch of his big ol' baby self. And he knows he's cute, bless him (and help us). I love how happy he is and how so very sweet he is. My God, he's sweet. His smile lights up my whole world every single day.
A huge part of me is holding on to his babyhood for dear life because I know it's going by in a flash and I'll never be able to get this back, but the other part of me sees how much fun he's becoming and can't wait for the fun and love we have in store!
It's getting excited to peep over the side of his crib to see his smiling face every morning. It's not being able to stop talking and thinking about him. It's worrying more than I can even say. It's laughing harder than I've ever laughed. It's driving home with the pedal to the metal to see him every day. It's kissing him and telling him everything's alright when he's crying. It's our special quiet time before bed. It's all the special and not so special moments we share.
It's falling in love and it's the best thing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
...and the best is yet to come:)
That's a beautiful post Hanna, and it is only going to get better. He is your whole heart! I loved getting to visit with you and Jake last week.
Thank you, Stephanie!!! It was so good to see you, too!
Post a Comment