12/27/08

Our Homemade Christmas

We decided to do homemade gifts for eachother this year. At first I was very intimidated by this because John is good at everything and can make anything. Once I resolved to the fact that it really is the thought that counts (and that it wasn't a competition), I was free to brainstorm. Then I remembered that my mama made stockings for us when we were little, and, even though they hang the wrong way :), they are so special because she made them just for us. So I decided to make John a Christmas stocking and made myself one in the process, so we would have coordinating ones (of course) from now on. I was so excited about giving this to him, and so excited about what he was making me. We both had to be top secret! Though I did expect him to "beat" me, I did not imagine that the gift I would receive would all but move me to tears! The sweet man made me a jewelry box. And when I say made, I don't mean he bought a jewelry box and stained it. I mean he made it out of wood and put the hinges on it, stained it, lined it with velvet, AND engraved my initials on the front! All by himself!!! I wouldn't even know where to begin, but I guess that's neither here nor there. The point is that we love eachother and we both made thoughful gifts just for the other.
Here are some pictures of our very memorable Christmas morning.

This is our Christmas spread. We didn't do a tree this year, but we did receive a rosemary tree from the hosts of our shower this month AND an ornament, so there you go!!

These are the stockings I made. I am the least crafty person on earth, so I guess it's a good thing I dig the old school stockings that look like they're from the 1800's because these are far from even and smoothly curved. I even added burlap around the top for a special touch. Definately a far cry from your every day oversized stocking, but I love them and, most importanlty, John did too. They are now our official Christmas stockings, and, when we have kids, I'll make theirs too, God love 'em!

I made some cookies for him too and wrapped them in the left over stocking fabric.


me opening my jewelry box

I saved the best for last. This truly is the most special gift I've ever gotten because he made it just for me. He even bought some sort of wood burning tool and wrote a little note on the inside of the lid. I am a very lucky woman.

4 comments:

Shelby said...

Oh Hanna! That jewelry box is absolutely beautiful and so special. What a good man! And the stockings are priceless and you are kinda crafty after all. Hee hee! I'm so glad ya'll had such a nice Christmas with the Smith's! I can't believe it's only 4 months till the big day! I'm so excited!
I love you,
Shelby

Lucas said...

I think that is the sweetest gift from John! I love it and it would be such a special gift to have FOREVER! That is really cool. By the way, you are so crafty! Those stockings are so adorable!

Jean said...

That was a great idea to make your own gifts. You will have them forever and they will always mean so much to you. I am so glad you had a great Christmas.
Love, Jean

Mrs. Montjoy said...

Hanna! Wow! What a present! John did a wonderful job on the jewlery box... and I am VERY impressed with your stocking skills! Good job!