4/14/12

guess who has hand foot and mouth disease now

yours truly.  that's who.

i am a healthy 30 year old.  why wouldn't i get the thing only children and immunocompromised elderly people get?

These pictures are bad, but they don't even show how red they are.
this is today.  it's drying up, thankfully.
I may be dramatic at times, but I consider myself to have a pretty high threshold for pain.  This was some of the most pain I've had.  Unbearable itching, burning, and pain. For the first two days, everything I touched felt like needle pricks.  Nothing helped except holding ice packs and I didn't sleep for two nights.  These bumps and spots are all over my hands, back, and feet (top and bottom), and tongue.

Thank GOD Jake's was not like this.  It looked similar but there's no way it was this painful for him or we would have known.  The information out there all says that healthy adults shouldn't get this and, if they do, it's mild and not itchy or painful.  BULL SH**.  I have been in tears more than once.
I'm not posting this for sympathy.  I just want to let everyone know that healthy adults can get Hand Foot and Mouth Disease.  If you do, go immediately to your doctor for some anti-inflammatory medicine.  It has helped a great deal.  It's a harmless virus, but I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

1 comment:

Rachael said...

My brother in law got it on his feet after a friend's baby who had it came to play at their house...he said the same thing: very painful!! So sorry you got it!!