Well, I've done it. I've packed her away. She's been a good one, but I won't miss her a stitch. I'm talking about my Medela breast pump.
My initial goal, after nursing didn't work out and I decided to exclusively pump, was to do it for as long as it works. Then, once I got the hang of things, I made the goal 6 months. It was going so well that, before I even hit the 6 month mark, I upped my goal to a year. My supply has decreased slowly over time, so he's been getting an increasing amount of formula, but I have had a good supply considering I didn't have a baby's latch to stimulate it. A stomach bug a couple of weeks ago took my already decreasing supply down to only 8oz a day (he takes about 30) and it hasn't recovered.
I have been feeling frustrated with how cumbersome it all can be for a little while and, now that I'm only able to pump 8oz a day, it really just isn't worth all the work. I will not miss washing parts, lugging the pump everywhere I go, storing the milk, etc...
Plus, while it's been worth every bit of it, my body has not been my own since I found out I was pregnant with Jake, (too much caffeine today?, is this medicine ok?, cartoon boobs, crazy appetite, will this upset Jake's tummy?, etc...) and I'm ready to have it back.
It wasn't all bad, though. It's only recently that I've started to become annoyed with it all. It felt good knowing I was giving him what I felt was best and it was/is very rewarding.
I am so glad that I stuck with it even though I know some didn't think I would and/or didn't understand why I didn't just hang it up after I didn't nurse successfully. It was important to me and I'm proud that I stuck with my guns and was able to give Jake my milk for more than 7 months.
Again, it was worth every bit of the extra work, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat, but it does not pain me to bid adieu to old Medela!
4/9/12
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
congratulations! On packing away the pump AND for pumping for seven months. A job well done!!
thanks, rachael!!!
Post a Comment