6/30/15

My Jake

Oh, my Jake.  He is the sweetest one.

I laugh every day at the funny things he says (sometimes intentionally funny, and sometimes not) and I am also amazed so often by how very sweet he is.  He has a heart of gold, and that makes me so, so proud.


I have been trying to keep a list of things he says and I think I'll just keep adding them to this post so they're all in one place.


We’ll start with some of the funny things:

-          He calls the pets in his class gergils (instead of gerbils) and I can’t bring myself to correct him. 
-          Halloween is "hawwowing"
-     Cecil= seesaw
-  he is excited about rhyming right now and says things that "Rhine"

- trying to get him to go potty sometimes gets tricky because he says, "but, Mom, my wee wee's (or hiney's) not startewing (startling) me."

- wacktricity = electricity 
-         The power went out during a storm and a transformer blew down the road.  Jake overheard us taking about it and started crying because he thought we were talking about a transformer like in the cartoon.  He watches a younger version of it and LOVES it, so I'm not sure why he was scared at the thought of one, but he was. 
-          He says, “Watch this funny joke!” then says something totally off the wall.

-          He went fishing with John and Poppy the other day and came home carrying a tupperware containing two of the fish he caught.  He ran to me and handed it to me and said, “Fry ‘em up, Mom!” John said when they were fishing, Jake would say, “This one’s goin’ to the dinner table!” when he would catch one.

-          I don’t let him watch Sponge Bob because I don’t think it’s appropriate for someone as young as him (they say things like “stupid” and I don’t like that).  We were in the car the other day and he said, “I’m not allowed to watch Sponge Bob Squirt Pants, right Mom?” Another one I can’t bring myself to correct.

-          He says, “Mom, give me some privacy.” when he goes # 2, then he’ll yell, “come wipe me!” when he’s done, negating the whole privacy thing, but whatever.  It’s adorable.  Now if I could just get him to give ME some privacy in the bathroom, we’ll be getting somewhere.

-          “Strink” – strength.

-          Until recently, Publix was “Pugwips”

-          Takin’ a haircut – he says this instead of getting a haircut.

-          If he isn’t feeling well and his ears hurt, he says his ears are funny.

-          He replaces some consonants with a ‘d’.  It’s random and cute.  Example: pajamas are “dajamas”

-          ‘l’s’ are pronounced as ‘w’s’

-          Jake recently had his first real cut.  He cut his toe during swim lessons.  His description of what happened: “I cut my toe and my part came off and I saw my bwood come out.”  By “part” I think he means a chunk of skin.  


-          They learned about taking care of the Earth at school recently and I’m not so sure Jake caught on to the complete concept, but he’s trying.  A few times, I’ve gotten onto him about something (being rough with Hamp, not listening, what have you…) and he’ll respond with a knowing, “’Caus that’s not saving the Earf, right, Mom?”  Right, buddy.

-          I’ve told him that asking questions is how he learns, that practicing is how he learns, you get the picture.  So sometimes, he’ll pipe in when I’m trying to teach him something or talk to him about something and say, “’Caus that’s how I wearn, right, Mom?”  (everything is “Right, Mom?”)

-          About swim lessons:
o   “The ‘wady’ with the big boobies calls me wittle guppy, Dad.”


-          He knows way more than a 3 year old should about breastfeeding and pumping, but such is the life of an older sibling, I suppose.  He’s used to the sight of my boobs multiple times a day, sadly, but at first, he had a lot of questions:
o   “Are you gonna pump, Mom, or are you gonna feed him from your boobies?”
o   “that (pump) fang (thing) wooks wike it’s gonna rip your boobie off.”  (it feels like it, bud.  It feels like it.)
o   “here.  I’ll help you, Mom.” (and squeezed my boob as I was pumping)



And the sweet things:
-          This one doesn’t speak so well of me, but I’ll share anyway because I don’t think I’ve ever been so proud of my son.  I was testy and sad the morning of Hamp’s first day of school.   Jake was whining and arguing about doing his hair (per usual) and I snapped and yelled at him pretty bad.  Then I felt terrible and started crying.  The tears had been there all morning just under the surface because I was sad about Hamp, and I had tried so hard not to show Jake.  I knelt down and hugged him and told him I was sorry for yelling at him.  The look on his face when he saw that I was crying was the sweetest thing I’ve ever seen and he immediately got tears in his eyes, too.  He grabbed me and hugged me so tight around my neck.  I am crying now just thinking about it.  I am not proud that I yelled at him or that I cried in front of him like that, but I’m glad he got to see that parents cry, too, and that it’s ok.  And the way he reacted was EXACTLY how I would want him to act if someone else ever cried like that in front of him.  I hope he will always have that kind of empathy and compassion for others.

-          Jake is always touching (hounding) Hamp.  Yanking on his arms and legs, poking his face, etc….  He just can’t seem to help himself and I know some of it is to get my attention, too, but the other day, Hamp was upset on the changing table while I was changing his clothes, and Jake came quietly over and started rubbing Hamp’s head with his little hand.  I could tell he wasn’t trying to “show off” for me or score points, or anything.  He was genuinely trying to make Hamp feel better.


-          When Hamp cries in the car, Jake will say things like “It’s okay, Hamp.  We’re almost home.”  (But then there are the times when he says things like, “Hamp!  You’re making my eyes pop out!”, so there’s that.)

-          Jake knocked a girl at school down the other day and made her nose bleed.  He says it was an accident, which I tend to believe just because that’s not like him, but when we talked to him about it, we went with the teacher’s version of what happened and told him he needed to say he was sorry to her first thing the next day and then ask her if he could give her a hug.  When he got home, I asked him what he said to her.  “I said, ‘Harper, I’m sorry I knocked you down yesterday.  May I give you a hug?’”.  (I die).  Then he saw his mom this morning and she sent me a text saying that Jake apologized to her, too.  Very sweet, but don’t go thinking he doesn’t have his moments.  That same day, he hit his best buddy, Caleb, because “he wasn’t wistening to what I was trying to tell him, Mom.”


No comments: