9/12/16

Jake's First Hunt

I think maybe this post from my perspective doesn't make much sense, as I wasn't there for the hunt, but it's such a big deal that I feel it needs to be documented.

John has been looking forward to this day since we found out Jake was a boy.  It's a time honored tradition that he cherishes so much, and has really looked forward to passing it on.  Jake has also been so excited about the day when he could finally join Daddy on a hunt.
John's a long way from putting a gun in his hands, but he is beginning to teach Jake the ropes and found plenty of ways for him to be helpful and feel part of it all.  He rode down to the field on the big trailer with all the other hunters, who I hear made him feel very special.  He sat with John the whole time in the field.  He retrieved some of John's birds for him.   And he helped clean the birds once they were done.

Jake said several times that Daddy is such a good shot and met his "speed limit" (bird limit) first.  So precious. 

He came home with dried blood on his arm and on his pants and, much to my surprise, I couldn't have been more proud of him.  He told me about getting the birds for Daddy and helping clean them and that he even saw their hearts.  And, of course, he didn't leave out that he got to eat donuts before going down to the field.

I asked him what his very favorite part of going hunting was and oh how I pray I never forget the sweet words he said to me. 
"Well my favorite part was sitting with Daddy and having the feelings, ya know?  Then..... (words that I didn't hear because I was fighting back tears)."

I mean...from the mouths of babes!  Those are the words an innocent five year old came up with to describe how special it felt to sit there with his Daddy in the field.  No prompting, just pure honesty in his own, heart-driven language.
they got up around 5:15 to get ready.
I didn't plan to get up with them and take pictures, but I'm glad I did.
It was a special moment.
When John was getting dressed, Jake looked up and said, "Fanks for inviting me to go hunting wif you, Daddy."




Ready to go!
the pictures below are some that John took from the hunt.




darling boy on the way back home.


1 comment:

Stephanie said...

One of the BEST memories ever for father and son !!! So special