6/2/16

Lake Lure 2016

Our trip to Lake Lure this year was wonderful!  We spent 5 nights, arriving last Friday and coming home Wednesday. 
 
This year, we rented a cabin in a gated community called Riverbend.  They have their own lake (Mirror Lake) with a beach, river, hiking trail, and the rental included the use of a canoe.  We loved it all and will be back.  Jake, ever the cautious one, was not crazy about the beach because there are fish in the water, but he got in for a minute.  Somehow, though, he LOVED swimming in a little swimming hole in the river.  He and John went down to do that one day while I read my book and Hamp napped.  I wouldn’t swim in a swimming hole in a river to save my soul, for I am certain there are snakes/turtles/critters untold galore, but he loved it and they had a blast.
 
One evening, Jake and John went out on the canoe while Hamp and I watched from the car (it was raining).  I noticed a family of ducks sleeping by the water on the beach so I got Hamp out to go look and he tried to run off into the water after them when they woke and ran.  I stopped him short of the water, of course, but I tell you that child has NO.FEAR.  He is quite the opposite of his big brother in that way, God help us. 
 
Again, we loved Riverbend and could have stayed there the whole time without venturing into Lake Lure and Chimney Rock, which was only about 15 minute away.  But we did venture in and had a good time shopping around the village, playing Putt Putt, going to Chimney Rock Park a few times to hike, and driving around all the mountain roads and enjoying the incredible views.  We really think that Lake Lure and the surrounding mountains are some of the best views we’ve ever seen.
 
Jake had a great time getting to hike, swim, explore the outdoors, see wildlife on our drives, and have undivided family time.  Hamp is not quite old enough to do some of the things that Jake can, so there was a lot of Mommy/Hamp time while Jake/Daddy went off to do the work and play of the mountains/lake.  There is no better joy than watching John and Jake bond in these experiences together.  
 



our cabin

our view from the back deck.  the mountains in the distance and Mirror Lake down below.


the same view at sunset.  absolutely beautiful.

swimming in the beach of Mirror Lake at Riverbend.  it's a great alternative to the crowded beach on Lake Lure
Hamp and I killed time while Jake and John climbed the 500 steps to the top of Chimney Rock for icecream and the beautiful view. Hamp finds great ways to pass the time. ;)

While we were hanging around waiting for the big boys, Hamp tried (again and again and again...) to climb the stairs.  He made it up 15 steps (with me right behind him) with NO help at all.


Once they made it to the top of chimney rock, they went even further to the tippy top of that mountain. 
When they made it back down.
me and my boys
the beautiful view on one of our scenic drives. 

We had a great game of Candy Land on the back deck on evening.


hiking the waterfall trail in chimney rock park

snack time at the end of the trail

where's Hamp?
There he is!
the beautiful waterfall at the end of the trail (please disregard my hair)
sweetest Jake
another view from one of our drives
reading on the back porch while Hamp napped.  it was awesome!
Jake and John canoeing on Mirror Lake






I hope our boys will always remember the times we have at Lake Lure. 

No comments: