5/28/15

Lake Lure Vacation


We took our vacation at Lake Lure this year.  John and I have been several times over the years and love it.  You really can't beat the beauty of a mountain lake.
We got there Thursday afternoon and left for home Tuesday morning.  We packed a lot of action in while we were there.  
 

Our house for the week

Our view from the front porch

Chimney Rock State Park



When we got to Chimney Rock State Park, we learned that the elevator going to the top of Chimney Rock was closed for repairs.  We were so disappointed, as the only other way up is via the mammoth staircase of almost 500 steps (pictured partially below) and we felt sure that would be too much for Jake.  We were surprised when he said he wanted to try and John went with him (Hamp and I stayed at the bottom) thinking they would be turning around quickly, BUT our determined little boy made it all the way to the top!  And Daddy treated him to a very large, much deserved ice cream cone in the shop up there.  It might not sound like a big deal, but he's not usually one for venturing out of his comfort zone.  This turned out to be the first of many new things he tried (and loved) during our vacation.  John and I are so proud.


At the bottom after the big climb.  John carried him on his back most of the way down.

We hiked to the beautiful Hickory Nut Falls the next day and had such a great time!  After lunch, we came back and hiked a more kid friendly trail.  (pictures from both trails below)
Me and my precious boys

 





Jake checked the map often to make sure we were going the right way. 


precious, precious, precious























jake put himself in time out on the trail












 
 


Putt putt in Chimney RockVillage 

Headed to the beach and splash pad.  Hamp and I walked around an arts and crafts festival while John and Jake played at the beach.  There was live music at the festival and I loved walking around. 



Daddy and Jake on the porch.  Those te had some great bonding time this week, as there were several things they had to do without me and Hamp.  I'm so glad they got this time to have so much fun together. 

Sunday, Hamp and I went shopping in the village while John and Jake went back to the beach.  They swam again and also took a ride in a canoe!!  I'm so sad I wasn't there to take pictures!

On our last full day. We went back to the park and all four of us trekked the stairs to the top this time.  John carried Hamp in the Bjorn on the way up and I had him on the way down so he could carry Jake, if needed.  When we got to the top, Jake wanted to go ANOTHER 350 stairs to the Opera Box, another awesome view point, so off he and John went.  I skipped this one, as heights make me uneasy and I was about to bust a lung from the climb we'd just done.  Doing that 9 weeks postpartum was a little rough, I admit.





Jake was so excited to look through the "tewescote".



That afternoon after lunch and naps we took a drive in the mountains over to Black Mountain.  Jake told "jokes" in the car which was entertaining.  "Watch this funny joke, guys!   How does a frog go to town!?! (How?) On his wegs!!!!! Hahahahahaha!" is one of the more notable ones.  (He's still learning what jokes are. :))

This was, by far, my favorite vacation so far.  Jake is at the most fun age and, while Hamp and I had to skip a few things and I had to stay on my pumping schedule, he is still so flexible and mobile.

It was awesome to be able to spend this time together as a family with no work or anything else to worry about.  Just good, quality family time.


We can't WAIT to go back next year.


























No comments: