Hamp is 7 weeks old (yesterday)
I weighed and measured him the other day and he was 12.5 lbs and 24.5 inches long. Above 90% for both. I'm not sure the 24.5 inch measurement was accurate, so we'll know for sure at his 2 month check up on 5/27. Either way, BIG boy. He is in size 1 diapers, but not for much longer.
He is eating 5oz every 2-3 hours during the day. I'm doing the eat/wake/sleep "schedule" (loose term) with him, like I did with Jake. He is staying awake for longer periods of time and I put him down for nap at the first sign of sleepiness which helps prevent the "paci wars". He is taking about 75% of his naps in his crib and is still sleeping between each feeding. I am pumping during the day when he naps (once per each bottle he takes) and once over night. I nurse him occasionally, but have to top him off with a bottle afterwards because he's just not a very efficient nurser. He falls asleep. :)
Nights are iffy. He's had a few 5 hour stretches, but mostly wakes about every 3 hours. He usually goes down pretty easily between feedings.
He is hard to settle down at bed time sometimes, but seems to do better when he has a bath, which I try to do every night around 7/7:30. Then bottle/songs, then crib. About 75% of the time, we have a battle with the pacifier (falls asleep with it in and then cries when it pops out) for about 30 minutes before he settles down and stays asleep. Same for naps. It is a constant in and out battle. I HATE PACIFIERS, truly.
If he absolutely will not settle down in his crib, I have let him sleep in his swing a few times just for our sanity. I hate to do this, but you gotta do what you gotta do, I guess. I am overly fearful of sleep issues down the line, I admit, so I am a stickler for starting babies off in their cribs from the get-go. I'm learning to relax about that some.
If he is fussy, he'll stop when being held (a certain way). He likes to be held upright most of the time. I am glad that (so far, fingers crossed) that he doesn't just cry even when being held. He is like Velcro to me the majority of the time, especially when out and about. He's not content to be toted along in his car seat carrier, so I wear him in the Bjorn most of the time.
He has reflux and is on zantac. I think it's time to up his dosage because it's string to be less effective as he's gaining weight. The ped. nurse suggested adding Maalox to the mix in addition to the zantac before upping the dosage.
The best thing to report is that he's started smiling at us some this week! It's the cutest thing ever and you never really know what's going to get him to do it. He also smiles at the ceiling fans and dangling friends on his swing/mobile, etc... I know they'll come more frequently in the coming weeks and that makes me so excited!
He LOVES ceiling fans, as most babies do, and he is so funny to watch when he notices one. He also really enjoys the birds above him in his swing.
I started putting him in the bumbo seat this week some and he likes it for a few minutes at a time. He is getting strong and will try to stand up with his legs on your lap. Like Jake, he tries to climb up John's chest when he holds him. (he falls asleep on me. hee hee.)
His hair on top has fallen out and there's just fuzz there. He still has hair on the sides and back, so I laugh and say he has "male pattern baldness". In certain light, his hair has a copper tone to it. I can't wait to see if he'll be ginger like Jake. He is actually starting to look more like Jake as a baby now.
Hamp is so, so sweet and I absolutely couldn't love him more.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)












No comments:
Post a Comment