3/13/14

It's been so busy lately that I have not had time to stop and blog.  This update is of random things going on with Jake recently.

Jake is doing very well and is keeping us on our toes.  He is so funny and has the best, cutest, sweetest personality.

Considering that his molars are coming in and that he's, well....TWO, I'd say that he is being a pretty sweet little boy.

The word sponge would most aptly describe him right now.  I really need to give him more credit because he is constantly surprising me by the things he says and what's he's able to remember.

He has a huge vocabulary and uses long sentences and is starting to use the correct tense more and more.

I am really working with him on manners right now.  He is pretty consistent (loose term) with "please" and "thank you".  I have been working on "ma'am" and "sir" for a while and it's starting to pay off.  A few times he's even said "yes ma'am" unprompted, which, to me, is huge.  I know this will be a work in progress for the next 18 years, but I don't know many things more important than good manners.  I will send a well mannered person out into the world if it kills me.


His teacher told me that she loves that Jake is his own person and doesn't go along with what everyone else is doing if he doesn't want to.  He seems to be a great mix of social and independent and I love that he isn't a follower.  The goal is to get that same report from his middle school and high school teachers, of course, so this small encouragement in preschool gives me a boost to keep trying to foster that in him.  I want Jake to be confident and secure in himself.  Don't we all want that for our children?

Jake has the funniest personality and facial expressions.  It's never a secret what on his mind because if he's not telling you, you can read it on his face.  Wonder where he gets that?

He is into birthdays right now.  A lot of people in his life have had birthdays in the past few months, so he knows the routine.  When a new one comes around, he is sure to ask if there will be "cake, mommy?!", "party hat, mommy?!", "present, mommy?!".


For the past month or so, he hasn't been thrilled about being dropped off at school.  He likes it and is happy while there, he just doesn't like it when we leave him.  He talks about his friends at school a lot.  His best buddy there is Johnny. 


He likes to introduce himself to new people.  "I Jake!"

He knows mommy's name is Hanna and Daddy's name is John.  We were out to eat the other night and he was not able to get my attention in a time satisfactory to him, so he yelled out, "Hanna!".  Ummm... isn't he about 12 years to young to be pulling that?


He weighs 37 lbs which is the 96th percentile for boys 31 months old.  He is solid.  We're not sure how tall he is, but he has definitely had a growth spurt.  A new challenge for me is that it's now hard to physically get control of him.  For example, if he's having a tantrum in public and I need to remove him from the situation, it's getting harder and harder to do that, especially if I have something else in my hands.  Picking up a willing 37lb 2 year old is one thing.  Picking up one who is not so willing is another.


But the tantrums are fewer and fewer these days (at least for now).  He is a happy child and makes us laugh so hard every single day.  He is sweeter than sugar and I just want to stop time.


One of the funniest things he says right now is "goil" instead of "girl".  It was "gooder", but now it's "goil".  So funny.

Getting him to let me dress him in the mornings is usually a struggle.  As soon as he sees me walk toward him with clothes, he puts his hands up and says, "no! no!  Yater (later), mommy!  Yater shirt!!"

To keep him occupied in the car, I have tasked him with telling me when the stop lights turn green.  He really likes this "game".

He is still not very consistent with the potty, but I think the time is coming that I'll need to just dedicate a weekend to nothing but potty training and get it over with. 

He was bitten at school the other day by another little boy in his class.  He came up from behind Jake and bit him on the right shoulder blade.  It is a pretty bad bite, but it didn't break the skin.  Jake was understandably upset because it hurt so bad.  I don't think he even had a chance to defend himself since it was a bit of a surprise attack, but we told him that if someone bites him again, he has our permission to push or hit them.  Not cool, MJ.

I got my first "I love you, Mommy" this week and I think my heart grew 3 sizes.  He actually said "I love you, too, Mommy", but I didn't say it first.  He did it on his own, I just think he was a little confused because I'm trying to teach him to say "I love you, too" when someone tells him they love him.  I had given him a big hug when he was upset and he said "I love you, too, Mommy".  I'll take it.

He is 37 pounds of SUGAR!


No comments: