1/28/11

Baby Estill - From the Top

You all know by now that we have a little peanut in the oven due September 2.  We have only shared the news with a few people since we haven't hit the 12 week mark yet, but since only a few people even know about the blog, and you all know the news now, I feel safe to go ahead and blog away!

My goal is to blog as often as possible and log as much as I can about my pregnancy.  I would give anything to know what my Mama's pregnancy with me was like and I want our children to know about what a special gift they'll have been to us since they were just seedlings!

Our first doctor's visit was yesterday and everything looked GREAT!  The baby's measurements were perfect and the doctor was VERY thrilled with the STRONG heart rate.  174 beats per minute!
Baby Estill is about as big as a grape right now at 9 weeks.
It is so hard to believe such a tiny little thing can cause so many huge changes in your body.  I began to suspect I may be pregnant around Christmas when I all but licked my plate clean at the Smith's house.  Then a few other symptoms started creeping in and, finally, I broke down and took a test the morning of December 30 before John woke up.  When it read positive, I couldn't believe it!  But one test just wouldn't do, so I left to go to Target to get more.  Knowing John would be awake when I got back, and the presence of another pregnancy symptom (FREQUENT trips to the lady's room), I couldn't wait to get home to take the other test.  As soon as I checked out,  I started running to the restroom, ripping the box open at the same time.  I'm sure the other patrons were very impressed.  Needless to say, the result was positive, so I moved along to Barnes & Noble to buy What to Expect When You're Expecting and a book for John to help me break the news called So You're Going to Be a Dad.
Before I gave him the book, I gave John a note from the baby. 
He was so surprised and so happy.  I will always remember the look on his face and how happy we both were in the moment that we had been waiting for.  (Lordy these hormones, I'm crying NOW just thinking about it!)
Over the next week, I took a few more tests just to make sure.  Crazy, I know, but I'm sure a few of you can relate.  A few days after we found out, we broke the news to our parents.  We sent my parents an e-vite and called to ask them to check their email while we were on the phone.  We told them we found some funny forward that would make them laugh. (see picture below for what it actually was).  We went to John's mom and dad's house to tell them with a similar invitation.  All the grandparents are OVER THE MOON.  
(this is the due date I had calculated...pretty close!)

So here we are at 9 weeks.  The most noticeble (and mentionable) symptoms so far have been nausea, irritability, and fatigue.  I haven't been sick, but just feel nauseated a good bit of each day.  Most foods do not sound good, especially meats.  Smells can send me right over the edge, too.  I haven't had any consistent cravings yet.  I am tired all the time.  At first, I was sleeping like a baby, but, for the last week or so, I have been waking up for a few hours a night and can't get back to sleep.  John can vouch for the irratibility and has really been a trooper.  It's a lot better now, but, for a while there, I'm sure I was no prize to live with.  As much as I tried to keep it in check (and I think I did a pretty good job over all), I really couldn't help it.  Hormones, hormones... 
There are "two" other symptoms I haven't mentioned and won't go on about, but they speak for themselves these days. ;)
I am not noting all this to complain, but to help me remember and keep record.  Every symptom is a reminder of the blessing growing inside me so I'll take it any day.  Plus I know it could be A LOT worse.
It has been a long, long month waiting for yesterday's appoinment and I would like to mention that I don't know what I would do without my sisters and their advice and support. I can be a bit nervous and crazy if I must say it, so having them to say "this is normal" and "that is normal" for the weeks before I could see the doctor really saved me from getting carried away with worry about every little thing I was feeling.


Here is our little peanut's big photo debut!

We are so thankful to God for this wonderful gift.  I can't even think of a word that comes close to describing how happy I am.  Please pray with us that the baby continues to grow healthy and strong. 

Just 3 more weeks and we'll be telling anyone who will listen.  Until then, please help us keep this in the family/close friends circle.

7 comments:

Tricia said...

Oh, Hanna! This is precious! Absolutely LOVE the email invite, too!
I hope I didn't spill too many beans with my FB message! Thanks for deleting! I'm just so excited, it's hard to keep it in!!!
You'll be thankful for this blog in the years to come!
We'll definitely do lunch soon, maybe next week!
I LOVE YOU!!!

Cameron said...

So so excited for ya'll! Praying for Baby Estill already!
Love you and can't wait to see you and the baby grow over the next 9 months!

Jean said...

This is an excellent blog post Hanna! You are going to be the best mom! We cant wait for your next appointment too! Had the best time at dinner the other night with you and Uncle John! We were high rollers at Dianne's thanks to the parents!! I love you and sweet pea too!

Ginny Player said...

Yay!!! Love the letter to John and the invitation to your parents! So cute. I am so so so so happy for yall! You will be wonderful parents!
Love from Ginny and Tenis!

Lucas said...

Hanna,

We are so excited for you guys! I am already thinking GIRL! Can't wait to find out!

Sarah

Shelby said...

Sweetest little peanut in the world! I could not be MORE EXCITED! Great blog post!
Love you!!!

Jill said...

Thank yous so much for sharing! I try to write in a journal about the boys for the same reason - anything of my moms that is written down i just cherish so much and I wish i had more of her words and wisdom to read!! Lots of prayers are being said for you, john and that sweet baby!!!